Our Blog is your Bloglook, like, learn, love...
Find out all about Hanoi and around or share with us your time in Vietnam here
We are more than happy to share with you the interesting things to see, to do or just what is happening in and around Hanoi . You can also share with us your own favourite moments from your stay in Vietnam 🙂
We have a book swap in See You at Lily’s hostel, which proves to be pretty popular, but if you are looking for a larger selection you can check out some of these places: Anna’s office- 50 Ngo Huyen - further down the road from our hostel, they have a lot of local...
Ice cream of Hanoi Introduction Most of the year Hanoi is a hot, and often humid city. Therefore Ice cream is a popular treat, and there are some very interesting flavours available, and some interesting styles of serving it. Here at See you at Lily’s...
As you would expect, a lot of things get left at See you at lily’s hostel, as at any other hostel. Our top 5 random left items are: A suitcase- We decided that the person changed their mind from being on holiday to being a traveller, and dropped the suitcase for a...
5 hidden charm spots in Hanoi
- Bat Trang (Bát Tràng) Pottery Village: When visiting Bat Trang, you can see many ceramic stores along the road in the village, and you can also visit Bat Trang Porcelain and Pottery Market where you can make pottery products yourself.
- Duong Lam (Đường Lâm) ancient Village: Nowadays, there are numerous ancient aspects maintained in Duong Lam village such as port village, trees, courtyard, temples, well, water fields…
- Ancient House in the Old Quarter: It is a replica, built the end of the 20th century, with typical architecture of ancient houses.
- Quang Ba (Quảng Bá) Night Flower market: Is the wholesale flower market with plenty of colourful and freshly picked flowers. This is also an amazing spot for a late night snack.
- Long Bien (Long Biên) bridge: the most special bridge with unique historic, architectural, and culture merits. It is the only bridge in Hanoi where all the motorbikes have to drive on the left hand side…
5 top bars in our view, check them out or share with us which other bars you like (:
- Fat Cat Bar, 25 Ta Hien- amongst the throng of Bia hoi places this is a great small bar, good music, and shisha. We recommend you sit upstairs on the half height floor, and lean over to order your drinks from the bar (don’t fall)!
- 3 Ma May, a bia Hoi corner, run by a lady called chi Ha. About $0.30 a beer, with a cool mix of locals, expats and travellers. Beer snacks available (don’t order the chicken cartilage by accident- ask for the English menu).
- Beer 2ku – 61 Lương Ngọc Quyến, We love this place mostly because they serve the local Vietnamese dark beer (Dai Viet Den).
- O’Leary’s – 38 Ba Trieu– a walk south of Hoan Kiem lake, it is a good spot for watching sports, screens wherever you look, and they can show most things you ask for (hurling included)!
- 1900 – Ta Hien, though we are not major fans of EDM the Vietnamese crowd here are always having fun and the place is always packed!
5 most special but secret specialty in Hanoi
- Banh com and Com (Bánh cốm, Cốm): Green Rice Flake Cake and Green sticky rice are the specialty in the autumn and remind everyone here about the ancient times of Hanoi.
- Bánh mì chảo (Bánh mì chảo): Try the fusion style of bread eaten with a hot plate of chips, pate, sausage and egg with very good tomato sauce!
- Coconut Ice cream: The ice cream served inside a Coconut with plenty of other things like cherries, dried coconut, fresh slices of coconut…
- Deep fried stuff: Tasty fried savoury doughnuts that can be dipped in fish sauce, with pickled papaya
- Bo Bia Ngot (Bò bía ngọt): Which does not originate from Ha Noi, but is etched in the memory of all of Hanoians from when they were children.